[Updated 5/26/2014 at 9:04 PM]
If you heard about the #YesAllWomen hashtag on Twitter, you know it’s about women sharing their experiences with misogyny after the Elliot Rodgers incident. After having a chat with Jason de Kanter, I put together a list of useful resources for people who want to deal with issues of misogyny and sexual assault – and being better people. It’s male-focused because this is from my view – of a guy who wants us to become better people.
- RAINN – an organziation combating sexual abuse and rape. http://www.rainn.org/statistics
- We Hunted THe Mammoth – Keeps an eye on the MRA/PUA/”Manosphere” with a sense of humor and a deep commitment to keeping people informed. http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/
- The Southern Poverty Law Center focuses on hate groups, and has addressed the role of hate in the Elliot Rodger incident. http://www.splcenter.org/blog/
- The Good Men Project focuses on men being better people and discusses modern masculinity – http://goodmenproject.com/
- Men Can Stop Rape – focusing on what it says – http://www.mencanstoprape.org/
Any other links, let me know.
- How the #YesAllWomen Hashtag Began.
- Time’s roundups of the best #YesAllWomen Hashtag. One suggestion I saw on Twitter is to print these and others out and hand them out, use the quotes, put them on stickers, etc.
- The New Yorker discusses the power of the hashtag.
– Steven Savage