(For more Promoting Professional Geekery, see this Roundup of past columns.)
If you’ve followed my writings for any time you know that having a good personal page is something I advocate very strongly (along with networking, etc.) So, yes i’m going to emphasize it again, but for a different reason.
A great way to promote professional geekery is to let people see it in practice. That’s you, the current or future progeek, by the way. If you have a personal website, then that’s a chance to emphasizes your progeekiness in your writings, posts, identity, and more.
So why do this?
- It shows the possibility of professional geekery – something not everyone gets. Seeing your hobbies tied into your careers, seeing you going beyond “pro” to “progeek” shoes the possibility. It’s something they may embrace, or understand.
- It shows people pride in professional geekery. They see that people can be proud of the lifestyle, and can find that pride in themselves. They may also understand others with such pride.
- It humanizes geeks and progeeks by showing it as part of you, a regular (more or less) human being.
- It of course has professional and personal advantages since you’re being honest.
You’re the progeek. Let the world see it on your web page.
Try a few things like this:
- Emphasize this in your personal statements and content (which is pretty much what I do at https://www.stevensavage.com/).
- Include links to your geek projects – which not only emptyasizes it but also helps people see your lifestyle and the broadness of what you do.
- Include any specific writings and references that fit your progeekery if possible – it also means your site is a good place to put things you’re not sure where to put.
- Don’t forget to link to interesting external resources relevant to your interests.
- If you’re like me and like to emphasize progeekery, you can add separate sections.
You’ve got the page (or should). Use it!
Steven Savage is a Geek 2.0 writer, speaker, blogger, and job coach for professional and potentially professional geeks, fans, and otaku. He can be reached at https://www.stevensavage.com/