This is a great, simple recipe for a nice sale with that savory tomato kick. It’s a good example of how something like a tomato can act as a spice, it really kicks up the dish. It’s also got plenty of protein, fiber, healthy fats, and taste.
1/2 cups lentils, rinsed.
1 1/2 cup water
1 medium tomato, finely diced.
1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 to 1 1/2 tsp of salad dressing powder (I use my own mixture)
- Cook Lentil until they soften enough to be eaten but are still firm. Drain.
- Mix lentils with tomato and place in refrigerator until cool.
- Mix red wine vinegar, dressing powder, and olive oil.
- Add dressing mix to the lentils and tomato, stir thoroughly. Let sit in refrigerator for another 5 minutes.
- Stir lentil mixture. Serve.
I think that if you drained the lentils thoroughly and added the tomato you could freeze the mixture and serve later, but in my previous experience don’t try and freeze it with the dressing. Similar experiments haven’t worked out for me.
Steven Savage is a Geek 2.0 writer, speaker, blogger, and job coach. He blogs on careers at http://www.musehack.com/, publishes books on career and culture at http://www.informotron.com/, and does a site of creative tools at http://www.seventhsanctum.com/. He can be reached at https://www.stevensavage.com/.