(This column is posted at www.StevenSavage.com and Steve’s Tumblr. Find out more at my newsletter.)
Everyone, my newsletter readers liked the idea that I’d post recipes now and then. We creatives get awful busy, so knowing how to make good, fast, nutritious food is important. So I’ll do this every now and then.
This one is a fast curry that you can throw on rice or polenta and just eat right away. Serve with a good spinach or kale salad for a full meal!
- 1 ½ cups diced tomatoes (one 14.5 oz can drained, or 2-3 tomatoes)
- ¼ tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp crushed garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 ½ tsp curry powder (use S&B)
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (one 14.5 oz can drained)
- Mix all but chickpeas. Microwave on high for one minute.
- Stir. Microwave on high for one minute.
- Mash tomatoes with fork. Add chickpeas
- Microwave for one minute.
May want to substitute other peppers like chipotle or ancho for black pepper.
If you want to work greens in, put about 10-16 oz of spinach in the bowl first with just a bit of water, and microwave a minute or two so it wilts. Then add the rest of the ingredients. On top of rice you’ve got two veggies, one grain, and your proteins!