Whew, been awhile between posts. Sorry gang, had a trade show and a lot to do. So now let me emerge from the Steve Cave with this lovely recipe.
Quick Provincial Soup
This is a variant of a Mediterranean vegetarian recipe from a cookbook. Unlike a lot of my recipes it does involve adding salt, so use low-sodium diced tomatoes. The original recipe ALSO used pre-herbed tomatoes which I despise because of the lack of control.
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 14 oz cans diced, sodium free tomatoes drained (or about 3 cups diced tomatoes).
- 2 tbsp mixed italian herbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Half a large cabbage head, shredded.
- 14 oz white beans, low-sodium, drained and rinsed
- 4 tsp olive oil.
- Place water, tomatoes, herbs, salt, pepper in a pot, bring to boil, and lower to simmer.
- Add cabbage to mixture. Simmer, covered, stirring every few minutes until cabbage is wilted – that’s about 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans and heat through.
- Spoon into bowls. In each, mix 1 tsp olive oil.
The result . . .