And here we go, an update – sorry I didn’t do one last week, life got kind of wild. But now if the Holiday Of Your Choice Spirit has got you looking to do good, here’s more ways to do so at the Civic Geek Catalog!
This time I focused completely on writing subjects and literacy as there’s a lot of programs out there (and a lot more for me to list)
- Behind The Book – New York Based organization that focuses on literacy programs and access to authors for underserved schooles
- Believe In Books – Supports literacy programs, scholarships, grants, and book distributions in northern New Hampshire and western Mane.
- Books Through Bars – A multi-state effort, located in Philadelphia, to provide educational books to people in the prison system
- First Book – Collects and distribute books to programs and schools that serve children in low-income families in the US and Canada.
- Florida Literacy Coalition – Florida-focused group that supports adult education, adult literacy, and family literacy throughout the state. Many opportunities to get involved
- Literacy Kansas City – A Kansas community-based literacy effort that uses research to ensure their programs are maximally effective.
- Lullalee – Lullalee promotes reading, literacy, and social change, including the use of e-learning and technology.
- Raising Readers in Wyoming – A wyoming-based organization that provides children with books, and parents with ‘prescriptions’ for reading, to promote literacy.
- Read Indeed – A nonprofit literacy organization, inspired by Maria Keller, that collects and distributes books to children.
- Reading Partners – Promotes literacy via one-on-one coaching and a structured curriculum
– Steven Savage
Steven Savage is a Geek 2.0 writer, speaker, blogger, and job coach. He blogs on careers at http://www.musehack.com/, publishes books on career and culture at http://www.informotron.com/, and does a site of creative tools at http://www.seventhsanctum.com/. He can be reached at https://www.stevensavage.com/.