Now we come to the end of our journey. Well, so far, you know me.
So my conclusions from all my analysis were:
- It’s understandable why people identify with fandoms – it’s a core expression.
- There are several forms of fans.
- Identifying with a fandom primarily isn’t appropriate for some people as it may be disconnecting – but for others it makes perfect sense. Those cases are those who are highly active in fandoms and/or have professional involvement.
- Fandom pathologies often originate from disconnection, over-identification (including with irrelevant demographics), over-investment, and unexpected interruptions.
- “Fandom” is best understood as being a broader phenomena than we may think.
Now all this is well and good, but beyond analysis what does this mean? What do we do?
Fortunately I have an answer.