Been awhile since I posted recipes here – mostly as I was experimenting and the results were less then stellar. But I had another out-of-the park experience by fusing a few recipes together: Meaty Mushroom Bisque.
I saw a mushroom soup recipe, but don’t like things loaded with salty vegetable broth, and as I had a portobella recpie that made mushrooms taste meaty, and found a potato made things creamy (without using fatty cream), I kitbashed the first recipe, the second recipe, and a veggie broth herb mix substitute I’ve been trying (basically oregano, basil, sage, dill, thyme, marjoram, garlic, and onion make a good broth substitute)
- 2 Tbsp Spread/Butter substitute
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs mushrooms, mixed
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 large potato, sliced
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp dill weed
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 1/4 tsp ground marjoram
- Saute onions in butter/spread until they soften and brown a bit (5-7 min)
- Add garlic, mushrooms, balsamic vinegar, basil, oregano, and soy sauce. Saute until the mushrooms soften. This is usually 3-5 minutes.
- Add all else, stir.
- Lower heat and bring to a simmer. Cover. Stir every few minutes.
- When everything is softened (about 20-30 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Let cool, somewhat, then puree in blender or with immersion blender.
- Reheat. Serve.
Makes 4 large main-course servings or 6-8 side servings.