(This column is posted at www.StevenSavage.com and Steve’s Tumblr)
I’ve missed posting my recipes, and I want to get back to my blogging, so behold – my latest creation. A vegan snack dish consisting of peanuts that taste like bacon. Seriously, it’s a bit creepy how good it tastes.
Theres little in the way of additives or added sweetener, so you’ve got a heck of a healthy snack here. That tastes like bacon.
- 2 cups roasted, unsalted peanuts (you can use unroasted peanuts, but may taste different)
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp liquid smoke.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Miss the soy sauce, syrup, and liquid smoke together on a bowl.
- Pour peanuts into bowl with sauce mixture. Stir until thoroughly coated.
- Pour coated peanuts and any remaining mixture into a 9×9 glass casserole dish.
- Place in oven. Cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Remove when the liquid has turned sticky. Do not cook until completely dry.
- Set aside to cool, stirring every few minutes until peanuts stop sticking.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator. Should keep 3-7 days. (not sure yet)