I’m moving apartments, so I decided to look for simpler things to cook during this time. This fantastic vegan taco mix is one of my discoveries.
This is repurposed from a vegan Sloppy Joe mix – it makes a great taco filling. You could also use it on Burritos or similar dishes. Place it in a taco shell or a wrap, and maybe a few other ingredients and you’re good.
Makes 4 servings
- 1Tbsp Garlic
- 1 Small red onion
- 1 ½ cups diced tomatoes (about 2-3, or one 14.5 oz can, drained)
- 1 ½ cups black beans (one 14.5 oz can drained, rinsed)
- 1 ½ cups pinto beans (one 14.5 oz can drained, rinsed)
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Dry sauté onion and garlic in a non-stick pan, adding 1-2 Tbsp of water as needed to keep it sticky. Stop when onion is soft.
- Added tomatoes, beans, and other ingredients.
- Continue to dry-sauté, mashing the beans slightly. There should be enough liquid to do this without adding water.
- When enough liquid evaluates that you have more of a mass and the beans are frying slightly, remove.