Want to promote professional geekiness, shameless fan-to-pro enthusiasm? Why not hook up with people that are kind of doing that very thing?
Go join a Professional Association. We put together a huge list for you awhile ago.
Professional Associations are awesome:
- You get to meet people like you.
- You get access to all sorts of resources and information.
- You may get backing on certifications or access to them.
- You get access to all sorts of great events.
- It looks great on a resume.
So a Professional Association essentially lets you turn up your love of your profession to eleven. It's a place you can be yourself, indulge in what you like, and grow.
And it's a place to take your professional geekery up to eleven as well:
- You can get involved in running the association, letting you provide leadership and promote the fan-to-pro ideal.
- You can introduce your fellow geeks to the association and help them appreciate the intersection of "pro" and "geek"
- You can help the association reach out to geeks, fans, otaku, and similar communities.
- You can write about your experiences for the association magazines, do presentations, or other forms of media creation to share your progeekery.
Me? I've had a great time in my field – Project Management – at PMI, the PM professional organization.. I'm the guy who does video games and mobile tech, and gets to discuss interesting and weird stuff – and I have a blast. I also help progeeks realize management may be a career for them.
It's worth it.
So go on, promote progeekery – Join Up!