- Issues with the Japanese economy and the TV market seem to be a big part of this.
- This is not the first time Sony has done big layoffs – in fact they’ve done some with selloffs and consolidation recently. I’d say this is more of a trend.
- The cuts are, obviously, in the display area. Half the cuts are unspecified – so get ready for politics.
- Some execs are being asked to return their bonuses. This may be an act to force contrition and look like accountability – which I buy. So I think Sony has an image concern.
- Considering Sony’s reach this could affect various Geekonomic-heavy cities/areas, so pay attention.