A variant of an Indian dish, made even healthier, and with a spice tweak in the form of smoked paprika instead of a pepper. It reminds me a bit of some german and country cabbage dishes, and has a unique taste. I served it with a potato as a side dish.
Very fast to make as well.
Makes 4 servings.
1 large head of cabbage (about 3 lbs)
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground, smoked paprika
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt.
½ cup water
2 cups frozen or thawed green peas
- Cut cabbage into quarters and slice out core. Cut into strips about ½ wide.
- Place cabbage in pot.
- Mix water with spices and pour over cabbage. Check bottom of pot – there should be a thin layer of water. If not, add slightly more.
- Cover pot, bring water to boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Make sure there’s always a thin layer of water in the pot.
- When cabbage softens, add peas. Stir thoroughly and heat through.