Yes, Target is phasing out the Kindle in it’s stores. Amusingly, the Nook isn’t getting the same treatment. They site “conflict of interest.”
There is plenty of conflict of interest – Amazon is competing with big stores like Target, Wal-Mart, etc. This is also a gutsy move as this stuff is popular, so I figure Target has very good reasons.
- I think Target is going to side more with Nook for now. B&N isn’t a competitor and can be an ally.
- Remember B&N is also allied with Microsoft. Keep in mind what this can mean.
- Note nothing from Wal-Mart. I still think they might make a low-price play/deal for some media or tablet device – but something like this could mean they seek an ally (and a way to take on Amazon)?
- This is key as it’s someone striking right back at Amazon. Others may feel emboldened to follow.
- I would strongly consider the chance there’s other initiatives we don’t know about.