(This column is posted at www.StevenSavage.com and Steve’s Tumblr. Find out more at my newsletter.)
My weekly update. Sadly not too exciting because . . . well, editing.
So what have I done the last week?
- A Bridge To The Quiet Planet: Editing away, and two more chapters to go!
- Way With Worlds: Writing away as well on the organization book (still due November, but we’ll see). This one is turning out surprisingly good as, well, I manage professionally.
- Other: Not too many other updates here because of my focus on the novel. More on that below.
What am I going to do this week?
- A Bridge To The Quiet Planet: Finish editing the chapters and probably posting most of them for betas. Then gear up for a “polishing” readthrough.
- Way With Worlds: Writing of course!
Long-term, I’ve learned a few things on my writing from the novel. I share this as my status updates make them clear:
- First, I do best with a good outline – then just vomiting things onto the page. This works in fiction and in my nonfiction.
- Secondly, things like Grammarly and other editing programs are absolute godsends. They are best used as early as possible.
- Third, I think in the future I will alternate between “doing several things” and “focusing on one thing,” not one or the other. For instance, the novel would be better written in a fast vomit draft then edited, but except for that “vomit phase” I’d be better off doing two things at once to keep my mind fresh.