If you’ve ever been in a hospital, you know what a drag it is. When you’re a kid, it’s even worse. However as most of us know a good video game is a real boost – and Gamers Outreach makes accessing good games easier for kids in the hospital. However they don’t stop there – they also do marathons and send game care packages to the troops. I talked to Zach Wigal the founder who was happy enough to let me ask him about his attempts to make the world a better place.
It’s your weekly update of Citizen Geek Resources!
With Blizzcon ending, I figured this week I’d focus just on video game charities and causes. Here’s a chance to get your Citizen Gamer on!
- Special Effect – Helps people with disabilities play video games with special technology and a variety of fundraisers. Takes donations and runs events.
- Charitable Work
- Gamers For Giving – Michigan’s largest game charity event, a game tournament that supports Gamers Outreach Foundation
- Gamers Outreach – A game industry charity organization that uses game events to raise money to set up game kiosks in hospitals and support the troops.
- Games Aid – A UK video Games charity that’s an umbrella for many other charities helping the disadvantaged. Raises money via activities, auctions, and more.
- Gaming For Good – A platform where you get games for donating to charity – with revenue going to Save The Children.
- Gaming Worldwide – Harnessess the power of gaming to get people involved in events, charities, and more.
- Hyrule Hustlers – Video game enthusiasts who sponsor Childs Play and run Zelda-based events and marathons.
- Marathon Gamers – A gaming marathon group tha does marathons for charities.
- Mario Marathon – A yearly all-Mario gameathon to support Childs Play.
- One Big Game – A nonprofit that raises money by selling games.
– Steven Savage
Steven Savage is a Geek 2.0 writer, speaker, blogger, and job coach. He blogs on careers at http://www.musehack.com/, publishes books on career and culture at http://www.informotron.com/, and does a site of creative tools at http://www.seventhsanctum.com/. He can be reached at https://www.stevensavage.com/.;