And here’s the latest update on the Geek Catalog. Be sure to check out the ever-growing lists for Geek Focus or Community Focus.
- Reading With Pictures – A nonprofit advocating using comics in the classroom to promote literacy and education. Researches comics and their role, collaborates with artists for content, and partneres with educators.
- The Comic Book Project – A literacy program that gets young people involved in creating comics to boost skills, awreness, and engagement.
- Hack The Hood – A nonprofit that helps low-income youth of colors into tech careers by having them build websites for businesses in their communities, teaching them both technology and business skills.
- Female Geeks
- National Center For Women And Information Technology – Focuses on correcting gender imbalance in technology, and bringing the balance of diversity to the industry.
- Stated Clearly – Stating science simply to make the facts clear – and counter misinformation.
- Charitable Work
- Gaming For Others – Raises money via grueling gaming marathons. They push themselves for money – for others!
- Book Harvest – Collects used books and distributes them to children in need.
- The Book Bus – The Book Bus gets books to people who’d normally not have access to them in various countries around the world. They’re always expanding their focus, and do educational programs
– Steven Savage
Steven Savage is a Geek 2.0 writer, speaker, blogger, and job coach. He blogs on careers at http://www.musehack.com/, publishes books on career and culture at http://www.informotron.com/, and does a site of creative tools at http://www.seventhsanctum.com/. He can be reached at https://www.stevensavage.com/.