One thing I did this Christmas was to gift some people various games that deserved their attention as they were:
- Indie games that were original or interesting.
- Early access games that deserved support – and were usually Indie games as well.
- Games that broke the mold or redid things in smart ways.
The reasons for this may seem obvious, but to be obvious:
- I want to support Indie games so that the games industry continues to innovate. There’s fantastic stuff out there.
- I want to support Early Access so games can evolve with proper feedback. I know what good feedback can do.
- It’s fun to blow people’s minds, so they think outside of the box and experience new things.
I want to strongly encourage this behavior because there’s enough sameness out there, enough watered-down media. If you’ve got something good, share it – and a gift is a great way to share it. Hey, if nothing else, people feel obligated to try it.
Besides the obvious benefits of sharing and so on, remember this includes giving people cold, hard cash. That dev probably needs every cent spent, and you can pay a few extra cents to help out.