The latest update for the Civic Geek Catalog is here. We’ve got things for STEM, Video Games, and Writing enthusiasts!
The catalog is also sorted by Geekery and by Category! 154 entries and climbing! I hope to do some resorting and mass additions over the holidays.
- The Hidden Genius Problem – An Oakland-based nonprofit that encourages technological skills and entrepreneurship for young men of color.
- Platform – A nonprofit working to increase the participation of under-represented people in the “innovation economy.” Has an annual conference and works with YesWeCode.
- Female Geeks
- Tech Girls Canada – Provides national leadership for the various industry groups in Canada encouraging women in tech careers.
- Journal Of Virtual Worlds Research – A journal (open to contributions) on virtual worlds.
- GameConfs – A privately-run website that tracks and provides guides to games-related conference. Open to contributions and assistance.
- Books Abroad – Promotes literacy and a focus on sustainable escapes from poverty. Recycle used books, and focuses on getting people involved.
- Borderline Books – UK-based organization collecting overstocks and damaged books and distributed them around the world.
- GBA Ships – Runs a floating book fair – literally, a ship. A great way to help reach people around the world – and also works with community groups for supply aid and community care.
- We Need Diverse Books – Focus on promoting diverse narratives in children’s literature. Reaches out to individuals and groups in children’s publishing, and is always looking for people to help out.
– Steven Savage
Steven Savage is a Geek 2.0 writer, speaker, blogger, and job coach. He blogs on careers at http://www.musehack.com/, publishes books on career and culture at http://www.informotron.com/, and does a site of creative tools at http://www.seventhsanctum.com/. He can be reached at https://www.stevensavage.com/.