The latest update for the Civic Geek Catalog is here. We’ve got things for STEM, Video Games, and Writing enthusiasts!
- The Hidden Genius Problem – An Oakland-based nonprofit that encourages technological skills and entrepreneurship for young men of color.
- Platform – A nonprofit working to increase the participation of under-represented people in the “innovation economy.” Has an annual conference and works with YesWeCode.
- Female Geeks
- Tech Girls Canada – Provides national leadership for the various industry groups in Canada encouraging women in tech careers.
- Journal Of Virtual Worlds Research – A journal (open to contributions) on virtual worlds.
- GameConfs – A privately-run website that tracks and provides guides to games-related conference. Open to contributions and assistance.
- Books Abroad – Promotes literacy and a focus on sustainable escapes from poverty. Recycle used books, and focuses on getting people involved.
- Borderline Books – UK-based organization collecting overstocks and damaged books and distributed them around the world.
- GBA Ships – Runs a floating book fair – literally, a ship. A great way to help reach people around the world – and also works with community groups for supply aid and community care.
- We Need Diverse Books – Focus on promoting diverse narratives in children’s literature. Reaches out to individuals and groups in children’s publishing, and is always looking for people to help out.
– Steven Savage
Steven Savage is a Geek 2.0 writer, speaker, blogger, and job coach. He blogs on careers at http://www.musehack.com/, publishes books on career and culture at http://www.informotron.com/, and does a site of creative tools at http://www.seventhsanctum.com/. He can be reached at https://www.stevensavage.com/.