She’s Geeky is an unConference for women in STEM. It’s place for women to discuss passions, careers, lives, in a supportive environment. There have been 17 conferences since 2007 in many major cities. I was thrilled to get to talk to Kas Neteler, the multi-talented executive producer of She’s Geeky. Let’s find out about the organization, what it does, and how you can get involved as a civic geek!
Civic Geek Catalog Update 1/4/2015
Diverse focus this week, though I still have a lot of literacy-based charities I need to include (there are many out there).
And don’t forget you can find causes sorted by Geekery or by Focus!
- Female Geeks
- Geek Girl Dinners – Promotes geek girl friendly events, resources, and connection.
- She’s Geeky – An SF Bay organization that provides events and and conferences around the USA for women in STEM>
- Charity Marathons
- U-Pick Video Game – Raises money for charity via marathons where others pick the games.
- Video Game Nightmarathon – Does Halloween-themed and horror game marathons for charity.
- B.I.G. Books – Recycles used books for those in needs.
- Milk And Bookies – Promotes literacy and book access by encouraging children to engage in book giving and related events.
- Reach A Reader – An organization that provides donated children’s and YA books that also promotes authors!
- Reader To Reader – A public charity that brings books to under-resourced schools and libraries, as well as public libraries. They focus on the poorest communities.
- International Book Project – Uses sustainable programs and partnerships to combat illiteracy on a global scale – with the goal of ending it.
- The Reading Tub – A volunteer-run nonprofit promitng family literacy.
– Steven Savage